Thursday, November 6, 2014

Get back on track with some interval training

I have had a really hard time getting back on track after my trip home to visit family.  I was off my workout routine, off my typical good nutrition habits, not sleeping well and going through a lot emotionally at the same time.  Not only was I off my routine but I was also going through the extensive testing to determine if I was a liver donor match for my step father.  Let's just say it was a stressful trip all the way around! 
When I got back home I felt all over the place!!  I was exhausted, depleted, drained, overwhelmed and had to start processing all of it.  Much of my work over the past three years has been learning how to deal with feelings just like these.  Feelings of anxiety, extreme emotion, uncertainty and navigating through major decisions. 
I feel so blessed to have acquired the tools that I have over the past few years.  Tools such as meditation, breath work, connecting with nature, letting out my emotions, talking to others, turning to body work and engaging in activities I know will benefit my mind, body and spirit.  The greatest tool I've learned is just allowing myself to be still.  When something major happens in my life now, instead of feeling anxiety and immediately trying to come up with a solution, I just sit and allow myself to be silent.  I allow myself to be still and quiet with things until I have processed them.  This is usually a time when I will reach into my new tool belt and pull out something to keep me calm instead. 
This is what I did when I returned home from my trip.  I got home 8 days ago, and I just feel like I'm starting to balance out again.  I had to let myself go through it, instead of pushing myself through it.  This way feels so much better :)  I had some massive emotional releases and got out a lot of things I had been holding in.  I've been trying to workout and get back on track food and exercise wise, but that has proven to be a challenge. 
I haven't felt like cooking and because of my imbalance have been craving comfort foods and sweets.  Instead of beating myself up and just continuing to stress eat, I am being gentle and patient with myself.  When I go easy on myself and handle myself with care, I find it's far better in the long run and I do way less damage.  I always ask myself, "Is this the advice you'd give a  friend you care about?"  My answer to that question used to always be no but now I keep myself in check and I'm a way better friend to myself because of it.

Sticking with the gentle theme, I've been doing a lot of yoga since returning home, which has been awesome.  I knew I needed to force myself to step it up a notch though if I were going to get some of my energy back.  I've been really dragging booty and I needed that endorphin release.  Nothing better to accomplish that then some interval training!
There is nothing like interval training to get your mojo going!!  Here are some great facts about interval training:

1)  It's the most efficient and fastest way to burn the most amount of fat
2)  You will burn for up to 24 hours after a good interval workout
3)  You can get a much better workout from a 15-30 minute interval workout, the you can for 45-60   minutes on a treadmill!
4)  You can continue to build muscle and increase endurance at the same time
5)  Interval training stimulates production of your HGH (human growth hormone) - up to 450% for the 24 hours after your workout!  This not only increases your metabolism but slows down the aging process
6)  You can do it anywhere and you don't need equipment
7) Get in - get out -get on with your day!  We are talking quick workouts here people but be ready to work!  They can be so short because they are intense!
8) They are awesome mood boosters!



Today I went with my favorite interval go to girl - Autumn Calabrese and the 21 Day Fix Total Body Cardio.  This workout kicked my butt and it's the best I've felt in days!  More energy, thinking more clearly, on track nutrition wise .... it's exactly what I needed!  In 30 minutes, I got a killer workout and started to feel like me again!

No comments:

Post a Comment