Friday, November 14, 2014

Warm Balsamic Brussels Salad

As I have shared with you guys, I have been going on a clean eating food journey.  I love to cook, however, I will also go through periods when I am just uninspired and I don't feel like cooking.  Recently I was going through one of those periods and I decided to challenge myself to get out of my funk!
I decided I would try 1-2 new recipes per week, and share them on my blog.  I have to say, this is exactly what I needed!!  I have been re-inspired and making some really delicious meals! 
It's also been a little challenging for me because I cook mostly by taste and preferences and not so much by recipes (unless I'm baking).  So I'm trying to be conscious of amounts and what not but my advice to you is experiment in the kitchen and play with your food :)

Get ready because this one is an AWESOME one!  I will definitely be making this one again. 

Not only do I love my food to taste amazing but I have a thing for it looking pretty too.  Call me weird but there is just something about a beautifully vibrant plate of food.

This recipe is not only delicious but it's stunning on a plate as well.  It would be a great addition to any festive table.  It certainly doesn't have to be a special occasion though - I made this on a quiet night at home with a girl friend.  Definitely nothing fancy!

Warm Balsamic Brussels Salad

Here's what you will need for this recipe ...

* Brussels sprouts
* Walnuts (app 1/2 cup roughly chopped)
* Garlic (to preference)
* Dried cherries or cranberries( app 1/4 cup)
* Pomegranate seeds (app 1/3 - 1/4 cup)
* Feta cheese (sprinkle on top to liking)
* Coconut oil ( just over 1 Tbs)
* Balsamic (1/2 cup)
* Honey (1 Tbs)
* 1/4 lime and zest
* Seasoning (my go to is pink salt, ground pepper, garlic granules and toasted onion granules)

You should first understand that I can't make Brussels sprouts and not make Brussels chips.  You are going to peel off the outer layer anyway, so why not make a yummy appetizer out of them!?

*Pre heat oven to app 375 degrees.
* First cut the bottoms off the Brussels and discard them.
* Put all the petals into a bowl and add a light amount of EVO and seasoning (I used pink salt, ground pepper and garlic granules) and toss with your hand, making sure everything is evenly coated.
* Take out baking sheet and place parchment paper down.  Put Brussels on the tray and bake for about 10 mins to start.  The petals will be different sizes so you may have to take some of the smaller ones off earlier.  Gauge your cooking time appropriately.


* The key is to only slightly brown them.  There is a fine line and once you've crossed it, the chip will turn bitter.  It's better to be under than over.

Once completed, put out as an appetizer for your guests to enjoy while you work on the salad.


Instructions for the salad:

* First chop the Brussels into quarter (halves if they are smaller) and place into a bowl.
*  I melted app 2 tsp of coconut oil and put that over the Brussels and tossed them in it.  I then seasoned them with pink salt, ground pepper, garlic granules and toasted onion granules.
* Heated my large sauté pan to med heat and added a little coconut oil to coat the bottom of my pan and added the Brussels.  Stir somewhat frequently.  You want a nice brown to them.
* While that was going I heated my smaller sauté pan to med and added the walnuts.  I drizzled with a little bit of EVO and seasoned with a dash of toasted onion granules.  You'll only need about 5-7 minutes to toast these.  Just remove them from the heat when you're done. 
* I am a huge garlic fan so this is optional.  I did a rough chop to 5 garlic cloves and added them to the Brussels about 1/2 way through.  You could also chop the garlic if you didn't want chunks. 



~While this was finishing I made the dressing:

*1/2 cup of Balsamic vinegar
* 1 Tbs honey
* Juice from a lime wedge and some lime zest
* Chopped clove of garlic
* Pink salt, ground pepper, garlic granules, toasted onion granules

* Get a big bowl and add the Brussels, toasted walnuts, dried cherries and pomegranate seeds.
* Pour over the dressing and toss the salad until it's coated.
* Serve with feta on top.


Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment