Monday, March 2, 2015

Delicious Healthy Gluten Free, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies!

I have a total sweet tooth and I love to bake, so I'm always looking for healthier alternatives.  I play with lots of different options including both vegan and gluten free.  Not only do I like to play with new recipes, but I also like to be able to offer my clients different options to suit their needs and style of eating.

I'm really bad with recipes because I tend to cook a lot from taste, heart and spur of the moment improvising.  So when people say, "That was amazing, can you make it again?"  My answer is usually, "Yes but most likely it will taste different."  Baking is a little different because it requires more precise measurements.  Recipes I try end up in 3 different categories:  1) I won't be making that again! 2) This was pretty good!  I'm gonna keep it with my other recipes (sometimes they get made again but most of the time not) and 3) Wow this is awesome I've gotta share it and I'll definitely be making this again!

Here are some category 3 cookies!  These can be gluten free and also have no butter or oil either. 

Try these awesome Healthier Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter* ( I use the kind you blend yourself at the store)
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 4 tablespoons light brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons old-fashioned oats (I use gluten free oats to make them gluten free)
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter chips + chocolate chips (I use all organic dark chocolate chips)
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. (My oven tends to run cooler so I bumped it up to 375)
  2. In a medium sized bowl stir together the peanut butter, honey, and brown sugar. Do NOT warm up the peanut butter or the honey.
  3. Add in the oats, salt, baking soda, and vanilla extract. Stir well.
  4. In a separate bowl lightly beat the egg and then add it to the mixture.
  5. Stir in desired add-ins (I used a peanut butter and chocolate chip mixture), but you can use dark chocolate chips, raisins, craisins, peanuts, etc. to make these even healthier and more breakfast worthy.
  6. The mixture will be thick and hard to stir. Continue stirring until combined and then use a cookie scoop to scoop out the dough. Press the dough very tightly in the cookie scoop to form the balls. Without a cookie scoop these tend to crumble.
  7. If not using a cookie scoop you will have to work with the dough a little bit more by squeezing it into a ball.
  8. Form the balls onto a cookie sheet and bake for 7-9 minutes. (Again my oven runs cooler so I had to add time to these.  I added 3 mins at a time and kept checking them)  Took them off when bottoms were browned.
  9. Remove and allow to cool completely.
 


Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment